Sculptra Nodules/Bumps
User · · Last reply 🌐 EN
Dear Dr. Liu Ta-Ju,
I had a Sculptra treatment last year in September. In October I developed two bumps/nodules on the temple and cheekbone. The one on the temple is way more visible in daily situations.
I already tried one saline injection in October and a subcision treatment in November for this.
It didn’t help at all. If anything happened, it dispersed the lump a bit.
Since then I hadn’t done anything else no more.
The nodules are not inflamed and they are not painful. I urgently want to avoid steroid injections because I am clearly afraid of atrophy. I want to avoid this at all costs.
Also I got the feeling that the subcision led to a slight volume loss on the forehead.
I am really devastated and hope so much that you can maybe help me. I just want my old face back.
3 Replies
Dr. Ta-Ju Liu · Board-certified dermatologist🌐 繁中 Doctor
Hello, I am Dr. Liu.
Direct Answer: Given that you currently have no redness, swelling, warmth, or pain, and no obvious signs of inflammation, I do not recommend rushing into steroid injections, especially blind injections. Lumps or granulomas from Sculptra (舒顏萃・童顏針) are different from hyaluronic acid and generally cannot be treated with hyaluronidase. Before any treatment, high-resolution ultrasound is needed to confirm the extent, depth, and nature of the issue.
Possibilities to Differentiate
Judging from the photos, the temple area is indeed the most prominent area with lumps. Photos taken from different angles and under different lighting can help make a preliminary judgment on whether there are other suspicious nodule locations. However, photos can only serve as a preliminary assessment; truly confirming the extent, depth, and nature of Sculptra (舒顏萃・童顏針) lumps still requires ultrasound.
General Treatment Direction
- In areas with thinner tissue like the temples and zygomatic arches, steroids may cause skin atrophy, depression, or tissue thinning, making the problem even harder to repair.
- You have already tried saline injections and subcision without improvement, and even feel that the lumps have spread, so it is recommended to stop blindly stimulating the tissue.
- The standard approach is to use ultrasound for localization first. If it is confirmed to be a clearly manageable nodule, then evaluate whether pinhole minimally invasive extraction or debulking is suitable—using minimal disruption and the most precise method possible, rather than directly resorting to steroids. Look clearly first, then act.
When to Seek Medical Attention Urgently
If the nodules suddenly become red, swollen, warm, and painful, grow rapidly, or are accompanied by a fever, please seek medical attention as soon as possible.
This online response is for general health education purposes and does not constitute a diagnosis, nor can it replace an in-person consultation and ultrasound examination.
Dr. Ta-Ju Liu · Board-certified dermatologist🌐 EN Doctor
Hello, and thank you again for your detailed message.
Direct answer: for this type of lump my usual approach is needle-puncture (about 2 mm) minimally invasive removal, not steroid injection. Because it is not a steroid-based treatment, it does not carry the same risk of further steroid-related tissue atrophy.
What the photos show
With the skin gently stretched under the right lighting, the contour of the lump becomes much clearer. This kind of protrusion can look subtle at rest but much more visible under certain lighting angles, which is why stretched-skin photos are so useful for assessment.
General directions
- The goal is to remove or reduce the problematic lump while minimising additional trauma to the surrounding tissue.
- Whether the area can become flat again: in many cases there can be meaningful improvement in smoothness and contour, but the final result depends on the degree of fibrosis, prior inflammation, and how the tissue has healed over time. A direct examination allows a more accurate judgment.
- The depressed area near the eyebrow / forehead can also be addressed. If, after the lump is treated, a contour defect or hollow remains, the surface may be improved with a gentler filler material that is less likely to form lumps, or with other options such as thread lifting or fat grafting, depending on the condition of the tissue. This is best decided at an in-person consultation.
When to be seen soon
If the lump becomes red, hot, painful or rapidly larger, or you develop a fever, please be seen promptly.
This reply is general health education, not a diagnosis, and does not replace an in-person examination with ultrasound.
User🌐 EN
Hello dear Dr Liu Ta-Ju,
thanks a lot for answering so detailed.
Your approach gives me a bit more hope and trust.
As I deeply want to avoid atrophy and more damage I would also like to avoid steroid injections.
How high is the risk of tissue damage and atrophy with your technique?
Can the area be flat again like before?
Also an important question, if you can treat the volume deficiency on the forehead right next to the nodule to make the forehead look more even again? This is also something that annoys me a lot. I marked it with the blue circle for you in one picture.
I added some more pictures with stretched skin. Hopefully this helps.
The bump does not always look big, but in certain light angles it looks even more obvious.
Would be so happy to hear from you again.